HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE
1 1/2 kilograms whole chicken
20 cups water
1 ounce fresh young ginger -- peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic -- peeled
1 bunch spring onions -- washed
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
slice cucumber -- for garnish
cliantro leaves -- for garnish
sweet thick soy sauce
1. Wash chicken and remove knobs of fat on either side of the buttocks.
2. Smash the ginger and garlic and tie the spring onions into a knot.
3. Stuff the chicken with salt, garlic, ginger and spring onions.
4. Boil 20 cups of water in a large pot. Add chicken, breast side down first, submerging completely.
5. Let water boil, then turn the heat down to very low heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, uncovering once to turn chicken turn over.
6. Remove the chicken and drain liquid from the body cavity. Retain liquid for later use.
7. Wash under tap water for about 2 minutes to stop the cooking process and to tighten the skin.
8. Drain, rub some vegetable oil over and let the chicken cool to room temperature.
9. Chop the ckicken into bite-sized pieces and serve garnished with sliced cucumbers. Then top with cilantro leaves.
1. chilli sauce can be purchased in the grocery.
2. for the grated ginger...
1/4 c. grated ginger
3 T. vegetable oil
salt and white pepper to taste
3. sweet thick soy sauce can be purchased in the grocery. If not available, you may use soy sauce.
FOR THE RICE
12 ounces long grain rice
5 cloves garlic -- minced
5 pieces shallots -- minced
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt
1. Wash rice and drain in a colander for 10 minutes.
2. Heat 3 T oil over high heat in a wok. Add shallots and stir fry until fragrant. Add garlic and stir fry for one minute.
3. Add the rice grains and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
4. Transfer to a saucepan or rice cooker and add the chicken broth and salt. Boil over high heat and lower down the heat to steam the rice when the water level reaches the level of the rice grains and steam holes appear. Cook for 30-40 minutes until the rice is cooked.