Monday, July 13, 2009

CHICKEN AND CORN TORTILLA SOUP

I went to yoga this evening...whew what a workout!  On my way home, I started getting hungry and  thought of what to have for dinner. Since it was raining, I decided to just make some soup. This is one soup that I would make every time I don't feel like eating rice.  I actually made this for Yummy magazine last year for a feature of comfort foods.  This is one of them and yes, this is what's for dinner.  I think it's ready now.  Time to eat! 

2 T.       OLIVE OIL

1/2 C.    ONION, CHOPPED

1/4 C.    CELERY,CHOPPED

1  (14 OZ) CAN  CRUSHED TOMATOES

2  C.      CHICKEN STOCK

1 T.       GROUND CUMIN

SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

4 PCS.  CORN TORTILLA, SHREDDED or torn

1/2 C    CHICKEN BREAST, BOILED AND SHREDDED

2  PCS  SWEET CORN, SHRED FOR KERNELS ONLY OR 1 CAN SWEET CORN KERNELS

CILANTRO,  FOR GARNISH

TORTILLA CHIPS,  FOR GARNISH – OPTIONAL

Directions:

1.     1.  Heat olive oil in a saucepan.

2.    2.   Sauté onions and celery for about 3 minutes until wilted.

3.     3.  Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and corn tortilla. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.

4.    4.   Add the cumin, then season with salt and pepper

5.     5.  Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth.

6.     6.  Add to the soup the shredded chicken and corn kernels. Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.

7.     7.  To serve, scoop soup on soup bowls, garnish with cilantro and or tortilla chips.

 

No comments: